Wednesday, August 8, 2007

How long is too long?

Time is tricky. Sometimes you call someone and you have nothing to say. But you call because you love them and it's time to call. Sometimes you call someone and you can't even get into it; you have too much to say: it's been too long. That person is no longer privy to all the fun little anecdotes you flavour all your relationships with. It takes too much effort. The petty small talk that must happen before you get to all the juicy bits. The what'd you do last nights and the what'd you have for lunches that you must endure before you can make the announcements and start all the fun girly laughing and dissecting that makes conversations so fun.

Sometimes I wish i could just leave messages and set the scene and let the information be heard and we could laugh and gossip in our time about what had transpired. Or that I didn't have to say hello and how are you before I get to hear the latest gossip or spread the news I'm bursting to deliver.

Politeness is so overrated. Already the telephone plays second fiddle to email when it comes to making plans. Now I've started to receive (and I'll admit I begrudgingly partake in this activity sometimes as well, It is so DAMN convenient!) in the thinking of you e-cards and sweet I miss you text messages. If you were really thinking of someone, wouldn't you set aside time to go see them or at least call them.

Imagine if someone came and knocked at your door just to say they were thinking of you and wanted to see what was up. That would be weird. It's nice, I guess, but for the most part annoying and weird and awkward. Then you would have to let them in, feed them, excetra excetra.

Sometimes, I wish, I could just let people read my brain. Not all the time, mind you, I think that would be really uncomfortable for my hairdresser and other randoms, friends and family members that I come in contact with on a daily basis. But just sometimes, when you wanted them to. So you wouldn't just be saying I'm thinking of you, you would actually be doing it and have proof!!!

That would be cool.